The Western Barbette
An 80 pounder Rifled Muzzle Loading (R.M.L.) Gun was mounted in this gun pit (or correctly a Barbette) from 1882 to 1907. The main 9 inch R.M.L. Guns at Fort Scratchley were mounted in similar pits to this, facing out to sea, when the Fort was first constructed in 1882.
This emplacement is undergoing restoration to its original appearance, including a new mounting for the gun.
Newcastle Harbour circa 1890's
Afternoon Tea circa 1890's
COPYRIGHT FORT SCRATCHLEY HISTORICAL SOCIETY Inc. © 2017