Major-General Sir Peter Henry Scratchley
designer of Fort Scratchley
(b. 24 August 1835 – d. 2 December 1885)
He was special commissioner for Great Britain in New Guinea 1884-1885 and defence advisor for Australia by the Colonial Office in the UK.
The Fort was completed on 2 April 1882. It was named after Scratchley and included three 9-in Rifle Muzzle Loader (RML) guns (image below) and a casemated battery of four 80 pounders. In 1889 three 6-inch Breech Loader (BL) and one 8-in BL disappearing gun (image below) were installed.
The 80 pounders were replaced by quick-firing 1.5 inch Nordenfelt guns in 1892. Two 6-in BL Mark VIIs replaced the four disappearing guns in 1911 and these guns are currently seen on top of the fort.
BL 8-inch Armstrong disappearing gun
9-in Rifle Muzzle Loader (RML) gun
COPYRIGHT FORT SCRATCHLEY HISTORICAL SOCIETY Inc. © 2015